Let’s face it, a salad has never sounded all that exciting but trust us when we say it can be tasty. For the most authentic salad experience, lentils are one of the best ingredients as they’re delicious, easy to make, and absorb flavors well. They are also extremely nutritious, as they are rich in protein, iron, and fiber. Here are a few easy lentil salad recipes that will give you that protein boost all day long. These healthy salad recipes are the kind you wish you had packed for work to keep you hopping all day long.
Toor Dal Salad
This healthy salad with toor dal is a great option for a picnic or office lunch. It is refreshing and packed with nutrients.
- 1 cup Toor Dal
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 1 teaspoon Curry powder
- 1 ¼ tsp Salt
- In a small saucepan, combine Toor Dal and bay leaf with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook until just tender, about 25 to 35 minutes.
- In the meantime, whisk lime juice, curry powder, and salt together in a large bowl. Stir in oil and carrots.
- Stir the carrot mixture with the toor dal. Allow carrots to cool for at least 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add cilantro and green onions. Toss with a little salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm or chilled.
Crunchy Cabbage Salad with Toor Dal
Cabbage Salad with Toor Dal – one of the easiest and quickest salads to make. It is nutritious and just takes minutes to make!
- ¼ cup Mint leaves
- ¼ cup Toor Dal boiled
- ¼ cup Coriander Leaves
- ½ cup Cabbage shredded
- 2 tbsp Sweet corn (boiled)
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Honey
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- In a bowl, combine mint leaves, cabbage, coriander, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and boiled corn. Toss it well with honey, salt, and pepper as desired.
Roasted Pumpkin, Orange, and Urad Dal Salad Recipe
An earthy salad tossed with the citrusy zest of orange and made with roasted pumpkin, urad dal, and oranges.
- 1 cup Urad Dal cooked
- 150 grams Pumpkin, thinly sliced
- 1 Orange (skin peeled)
- 3 sprig Coriander leaves
For the dressing
- ½ Fresh orange juice
- 4 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180°C for 10 minutes. Lay your pumpkin slices over a baking tray and drizzle some oil, salt, and pepper over them. Bake for at least 20 minutes.
- Add the pumpkin to a mixing bowl once it has become soft and slightly crisp. Add chana dal and orange segments to the bowl as well.
- Mix all the ingredients in a small bowl until they emulsify, and then pour them over the salad and toss.
- Garnish with some coriander leaves. Enjoy!
Chana Dal Salad
The healthy and refreshing chana dal salad is full of vibrant colors and flavors. The seasoning of the salad makes it a delicious meal and is packed with protein and fiber!
- 2 cups cooked chana dal
- 4 cups Water
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds (crushed)
- ½ tsp Red chili powder
- 1 tsp Dried mint leaves (crushed)
- 1 cup Cucumber peeled and cubed
- 1 small Onion finely chopped
- ¾ cup Red Bell Pepper finely chopped
- ¾ cup Green Bell Pepper finely chopped
- 1 ½ tbsp Chopped Green Onions
- 2 tbsp Chopped cilantro leaves to garnish
- Salt to taste
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- ½ tsp Coarsely crushed black peppercorns
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- ½ tbsp Chopped Mint leaves
- In a large bowl, combine chana dal, salt, paprika, cumin powder, and dried mint leaves, diced bell peppers, cucumbers, onions, scallions, and chopped cilantro. Mix well with the dressing and it’s ready to serve!
Curried Lentil Salad
A hearty vegetarian side dish or entree, this curried lentil salad is sure to please. Serve with extra cilantro lime dressing on the side to make it even better.
- 2 ½ cups cooked Chana dal
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- ¾ tsp sea salt
- Cilantro Lime Dressing
- 1 to 2 chiles finely chopped
- 250 gm paneer cheese, cubed
- 1 small cauliflower floret
- 2 tbsp Virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 4 cups spinach, finely chopped
- Black pepper as per taste
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Add the lemon juice, garlic, ginger, cumin, cardamom, salt, and several grinds of pepper to a large bowl. Stir in the lentils.
- Prepare the Cilantro Lime Dressing, adding the serrano chiles to the food processor while preparing the original recipe. Stir half of the dressing into the lentils.
- Put the paneer on the first baking sheet and the cauliflower on the second. Sprinkle both with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast the paneer and cauliflower for 15 to 25 minutes. Toss the cauliflower with turmeric after it comes out of the oven.
- Toss the lentils with the chopped spinach. Add the cauliflower and paneer. Serve with remaining dressing on the side and more dressing on top.
Lentils and Balsamic Vinegar Salad
Salad made with hearty masoor dal and crunchy vegetables tossed in a balsamic vinaigrette dressing.
- 3 ½ cups Masoor Dal cooked
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 cucumber, diced
- ⅓ red onion or shallot, finely chopped
- ¼ cup fresh chopped parsley
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- ½ clove garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine the Masoor Dal, bell pepper, cucumber, onion, and parsley in a large bowl.
- In a blender, combine all the dressing ingredients and blend until smooth. You can also whisk the ingredients together in a bowl.
- Toss the salad with the dressing and serve!
Lentils are one of the yummiest sources of folic acid. Just one cup of cooked lentils provides you with almost 90% of your daily recommended intake! And why is folic acid so important? Folic acid also functions to support red blood cell production and helps prevent anemia. The fiber and potassium in lentils make them a healthy choice for the heart, as well as helps in controlling blood pressure and cholesterol. Iron contributes to boosting energy while vitamin B1 helps keep a steady heartbeat, making lentils a healthy food choice. Do try out these flavorful easy lentil salad recipes and you will find yourself energized and refreshed all day long!