There is a good reason why breakfast is considered the most important meal of the day, as it sets the tone for the rest of the day. As its name implies, breakfast breaks the overnight fasting period. Replenishing your glucose supply, boosts your energy level and alertness, while also providing you with other necessary nutrients.
Just start your day right with nutrition in place of some boring breakfast on a rush morning, complete with a hot breakfast and coffee. Lentils are a great source of fiber and protein. Take a look at these delicious breakfast recipes that you can whip up in no time for an energy-boosting start to the day!
Gluten-Free Breakfast Lentil Sandwich
[Source: One green Planet]
It’s a great breakfast and a vegan lentil recipe for any meal of the day since chana dal are cooked with shallots, paprika, lemon juice, and fresh parsley.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ¼ cup cooked chana dal
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1-2 tsp soy sauce
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp pepper
- ¼ lemon juice
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 4 slices of whole wheat or multigrain bread, toasted
- Tahini for the spread
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the garlic and shallots or green onions and sauté for 1 minute, or until the vegetables are fragrant. Cook for 3-4 minutes more, or until the onion is translucent, then add the chana dal, soy sauce, paprika, and pepper.
- Pour in a good squeeze of lemon juice. Stir in the chopped parsley. Taste and add more soy sauce if necessary.
- Over the whole wheat or multigrain toast, spread the tahini to taste. Spread the spiced lentils over the tahini and enjoy.
Masoor Dal Porridge: Creamy and Delicious
[Source: Food Network]
Breakfast lentils topped with walnuts and almond milk topped with creamy, red split lentils. It is a great alternative to traditional porridge and oatmeal and can be made in a matter of minutes!
- 1 cup masoor dal
- 3 cups almond milk
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 4 tsp brown sugar adjust to preference
- Chopped walnuts
- Stir together masoor dal and almond milk in a saucepan or pot over high heat.
- Add cinnamon, nutmeg, and brown sugar. Heat to a boil, then lower the heat to a simmer. Stir for 15 minutes, or until creamy and tender.
- Top with your favorite toppings! Add a splash of almond milk again if needed and chopped walnuts.
Curried Lentil Bowls
[Source: Gourmet House]
Our yummy and nutritious curried lentil bowls are ready for breakfast to help you get through your busy working day!
- 1 cup toor dal
- 1/2 cup light coconut milk
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the Bowls
- 4 carrots chopped
- 2 cups chopped zucchini
- 1 white onion
- 1 medium-sized sweet potato, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- A handful of chopped kale
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Place all the veggies in one layer on two silicone mats or parchment paper-lined baking trays. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and roast for 30-40 minutes until tender.
- In a medium saucepan, bring 2 cups of water to a boil while the veggies are roasting. Once boiling, add the toor dal, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes, or until the toor dal is tender. Turn off the heat but leave the pot on the element. Stir in the coconut milk and spices and let sit until thickened.
- Chop the kale into bite-sized pieces after tearing the leaves from the thick stems. All the kale should be added to a large skillet with a few splashes of water and cooked for 5-6 minutes until soft and dark green.
- Divide the roasted veggies, curried lentils, and kale into four equal portions. Enjoy right away or refrigerate for up to 4 days.
A nutrient-rich lentil crepe.
[Source: Very Good Recipes]
The lentil veggie crepe is a drool-inducing combination of fresh vegetables and lentils. Enjoy a healthy, hearty meal as a delicious start to the day. It’s also vegan and gluten-free!
- 1 cup moong dal
- ¼ cup carrot, finely chopped
- 1 small capsicum, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- salt, to taste
- water, as required
- oil to spray
- Make sure lentils are thoroughly washed and soaked for 1-2 hours in water.
- Drain the lentils and grind them to a fine paste using 4 cups of water.
- Add the chopped vegetables, salt, turmeric and red chili powder. Combine well.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over low-medium heat. Make a thin circular spread with 1/2 cup of batter. Drizzle some oil on it. Once one side appears light brown, flip it over and cook the other.
- Repeat the same process with the remaining batter. Serve the veggie crepe with any side dish!
The first meal of the day is extremely vital for your health. By incorporating healthy breakfasts into one’s diet and engaging in physical activity and mindfulness, one can consume more nutrients and improve health. Eating a healthy breakfast can assist in keeping blood sugar levels stable and eliminate fatigue. Our easy and healthy breakfast recipes will help you start your day on the right foot. Make sure you try them!